Why Digital Citizenship Focus?
Each grade level has Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) standards or guidelines that reference digital citizenship and digital literacy. Digital citizenship education is also a federal mandate.
North Texas Collegiate Academy has made a commitment to building digital citizenship skills for all students. This is a multifaceted approach including a stand-alone curriculum and lessons integrated into the content area curriculum.
- Common Sense Media believes in strong partnerships between home and school. That's why we've designed a FREE program to help parents and caregivers navigate and discuss the impact of digital media on kids' social, emotional, and intellectual development. Using resources based on our K-12 Digital Literacy and Citizenship Curriculum, educators and parents, together, can empower young people to harness the power of the Internet and digital technology for learning and life -- both in the classroom and at home.
- Netsmartz, multimedia Internet safety presentations tailored for specific audiences – parents and communities, tweens, teens, and younger children. Download any of these to share with your community, or watch the presentation for parents and communities online now.
- Stay on the Path: Teaching Kids to be Safe and Ethical Online is a series of resources that aims to promote and encourage ethical online behaviors with young people. The resources include a four-lesson unit on search skills and critical thinking; a self-directed tutorial that examines the moral dilemmas that kids face in their online activities and strategies for helping youth deal with them; and three tip sheets for parents on how to teach kids to be safe and ethical online.
- 1:X Digital Citizenship Page
- Net Cetera - Chatting with kids about being online.
- Safe Kids Vast collection of articles and links on topics from social networks to blogs to video games. (all ages)
- Connect Safely Social media tips and information for families (adults)
- Cyber-Safety.com - Rob Nickles, Cyber-Safety Expert, educates children and parents on the dangers that are online.(adults)
- StaySafeOnline.org -Sponsored by the National Cyber Security Alliance to educate and empower society to use the internet safely (adults)
- Department of Justice, Internet Safety for Children - References and publications created by the Department of Justice (adults)